Ingredients for Gluten Free French Onion Soup Recipe
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3 large yellow onions, thinly sliced
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 5 cups unsalted gluten-free beef broth
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4 slices toasted gluten-free bread
- 8 ounces grated Swiss cheese
- Add the onions, salt, and thyme and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are completely caramelized (30 to 40 minutes).
- Add the flour. Cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Add the sherry and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Add the beef broth, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the broth to a simmer. Simmer, stirring, for two minutes.
- Heat your oven's broiler on high and adjust the rack to the top quarter of the oven.
- Spoon the soup into four oven-proof bowls. Top each bowl with the toast and then sprinkle cheese over the toast.
- Toast under the broiler until the cheese is brown and bubbly, about two minutes.
- Serve immediately.
Try one of these variations to customize the recipe:
- Replace the sherry with red wine or red wine vinegar in an equal amount. The red wine will be more richly flavored. The red wine vinegar will be slightly more acidic.
- For a mustardy flavor, add 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard to the broth before you add it to the pot.
- Add 1 cup of sliced mushrooms. Cook with the onions for about the last five minutes before adding the flour.
- You can also vary the type of cheese. While Gruyère cheese is the classic choice, consider trying cheddar, Monterey jack cheese or a softer cheese, such as brie.
Store soup separately from bread and cheese in the fridge for up to three days or in the freezer for up to six months. Reheat on the stovetop and then assemble with bread and cheese before serving.