Ingredients for Gluten Free Cream of Chicken Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast or thigh, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 5 cups no-salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh rosemary
- 1 cup fresh or frozen shelled peas
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil on medium-high until it shimmers.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is browned, about five minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the fat in the pan with a slotted spoon and set it aside.
- In the same pot, add the onions, carrots, and celery to the oil. Cook, stirring, until the veggies soften, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add the gluten-free flour and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the chicken broth. Use the side of the spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the rosemary, peas, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the broth thickens, about three minutes.
- Add the reserved chicken, making sure to add any juices that have collected as well. Stir in the heavy cream. Cook, stirring, to heat through, one to two minutes more.
This will keep in the fridge tightly sealed for three days. You can also freeze it in 1 1/2 cup servings for up to six months. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
There are several ways you can vary this basic recipe.
- Replace the rosemary with 2 tablespoons of chopped, fresh thyme or tarragon.
- Add 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, when you add the onions, carrots, and celery.
- Before adding the chicken stock, deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of dry sherry, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce the chicken broth by 1/2 cup.
- Use ground chicken or turkey in place of the chicken breast.
- Add 1 cup of cooked white, brown, or wild rice when you add the heavy cream. Cook until warmed through.