Ingredients for Gluten Free Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Serves 4 to 6
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 10 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups no salt gluten-free chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 3 ounces buckwheat noodles (check ingredients to make sure they are gluten-free) or gluten-free noodles
- In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil on medium-high until it shimmers.
- Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is opaque and starting to brown, six to eight minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot with a slotted spoon and set it aside on a plate, tented with foil to keep warm.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the pot and heat it until it shimmers.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, thyme, salt, and pepper. Use the side of the spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and incorporate them into the broth. Bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the noodles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the noodles soften, about 5 to 8 minutes or according to package instructions.
- Return the chicken to the pot. Cook for one minute more, until the chicken heats through.
For a fun twist on this recipe, try any of the following variations.
- Make Asian chicken soup. Add one tablespoon of grated peeled gingerroot when you add the onions. Increase garlic to six cloves. Then, add two pieces of star anise when you add the broth. Omit the thyme. Simmer as instructed. Remove the star anise before serving. Serve with lime wedges to squeeze over the soup and offer chopped cilantro, Sriracha, and thinly sliced scallions as garnish.
- Add extra veggies. When you add the onion, also add a chopped red bell pepper and replace the celery with chopped fresh fennel.
- Replace the buckwheat noodles with zucchini noodles. Add the noodles in the last five minutes of cooking.
Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to three days or on in the freezer for up to six months.