Birthday cakes are about celebration - not about worrying whether or not you can eat the results. If you need to avoid gluten due to an intolerance, allergy or Celiac disease, consider using one of these rich, decadent birthday cake recipes. They are sure to be a hit with everyone at the party.
Coconut Flour Chocolate Birthday Cake Recipe
This recipe is nut-free, dairy-free, gluten-free and high in protein. Best of all, it has a rich, chocolate taste and moist texture that will make you forget it's gluten-free.
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 eggs
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1-1/2 cups palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine the eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract in a second bowl and beat on high until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing well.
- Pour the batter into two greased nine-inch cake pans and bake for 40 minutes at 325 degrees or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and frost with chocolate frosting recipe below.
Chocolate Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
Chocolate Frosting Instructions
- Melt the chocolate chips and coconut oil on the stove over low heat.
- Stir in the palm sugar, vanilla extract and salt.
- Beat on high with a mixer until fluffy.
- Spread on cooled cake.
Flourless Chocolate Birthday Cake
This cake is for true chocolate lovers. Rich, dense and decadent, it doesn't contain any flours at all; powdered chocolate is its base.
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt the chocolate chips and butter in the top half of a double boiler until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cocoa powder, sugar, eggs and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Pour immediately into two greased 9-inch cake pans and bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes or until set in the center.
- Let cool and frost with chocolate ganache frosting.
Chocolate Ganache Frosting Ingredients
- 9 ounces dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
Chocolate Ganache Frosting Instructions
- Heat the heavy cream in the microwave until just before boiling.
- Pour it over the chocolate chips and stir until the chips are melted and the cream is well incorporated.
- Let cool slightly and beat on high with a mixer until light and fluffy.
- Spread on the cooled cake.
Tips for Purchasing a Gluten-Free Birthday Cake
Not many bakeries sell gluten-free cakes, but you do have some options available to you if you choose not to bake your own. Try one of these resources.
Get an Ice Cream Cake
Contact a local ice cream parlor that makes their own cakes and request a soft serve cake made with no chocolate crumbs. Soft serve ice cream has the least chance of becoming contaminated with gluten from other flavors, and by having the parlor make it for you on site, you can get a custom cake that everyone can enjoy.
Some bakeries may carry a limited line of gluten-free baked goods that they don't advertise. If you do choose this route, remember that if the gluten-free cakes are baked on site with regular cakes that some cross contamination may occur. Check with the owner or manager about what steps they take to avoid this.
If you have enough time to wait, try contacting one of the following bakeries for a mail order cake:
Serve a gluten-free birthday cake for yourself or for a loved one at the next special occasion. After all, everyone deserves a birthday cake that they can eat with no ramifications.