Even if you are avoiding gluten due to Celiac or a gluten intolerance, you can still enjoy traditional comfort foods like chicken pot pie. This recipe uses a corn and rice crust that has a crisp texture and lively taste that will rival anything made of wheat.
Chicken Pot Pie Crust
This flaky crust is the perfect complement to a delicious pot pie filling. You can mix up the crust while the filling is cooking on the stove.
If you're making a one-crust pot pie, you can halve this recipe and use it only on the top of the pie. For a two-crust pie, use it as written for a top and bottom crust.
- Makes top and bottom crust for one 9 x 13-inch pie
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 30 to 45 minutes
- Oven temp: 400 degrees
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup white rice flour plus four tablespoons
- 4 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1-1/4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a second, larger bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet until completely moistened. If the mixture is too runny, add additional arrowroot flour until thickened.
- Divide the crust in half.
- Spread half on the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Top with the filling and spread the second half on top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling Recipe
This filling is easily tweaked to include whatever vegetables you may enjoy or have on hand.
- Makes filling for one 9 x 13-inch pie
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Bake time: 10 minutes
- 1 pound chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 2 tablespoons of rice flour
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 carrots, sliced thin
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup peas
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1-3/4 cup GF chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a large stock pan.
- Add the rice flour, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
- Slowly add the chicken stock, whisking well.
- Add the vegetables, basil and garlic and simmer approximately 10 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken and sour cream.
- Spread evenly over the bottom crust in the baking pan.
- Top with the remaining crust and bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Create Your Comfort Food
Tweak the spices and vegetables in this pie recipe and experiment with a top and bottom crust until you achieve the pot pie you enjoy best. Remember, giving up gluten does not mean having to give up the foods you love.