If you need to eliminate wheat from your diet because of an intolerance or due to Celiac disease, finding a good wheat-free bread recipe may feel challenging. Thankfully, there are options that taste just as delicious without the wheat as they do with, such as this recipe for focaccia bread.
Wheat-Free Focaccia Bread Recipe
Dense, chewy focaccia bread makes wonderful sandwiches, paninis and even pizza crusts. Try this recipe that uses teff flour instead of wheat, but still provides that thick, dense texture for which focaccia is known.
- 1/2 cup Teff flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoon dry, quick-rise yeast
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, ground
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water, heated to 110 degrees F.
- Olive oil
- Fresh rosemary
- Sea salt
- Spray the inside of a cast iron skillet or cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Slowly add the hot water and mix by hand until just blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat on high with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
- Pour the dough into the skillet or cake pan.
- Place the pan on the bottom rack of a cold oven and turn the oven to 400 degrees to preheat while the dough is rising.
- Rub the olive oil over the risen bread once the oven has finished preheating.
- Sprinkle rosemary and salt over the top of the bread and place it back in the oven.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before removing from the pan.
More Bread Options
This is not the only kind of bread that you can make without wheat; there are plenty of gluten free bread recipes that you can make at home with a bit of time and practice.