Your gluten-free lifestyle can still include homemade bread. While rice flour cannot be substituted one for one with wheat flour, it can be combined with other ingredients to produce extremely delicious, moist and tender bread. Note that for both recipes, the batter will be quite thin - this is normal and the bread will turn out fine.
White and Brown Rice Bread Recipe
This recipe uses a blend of white and brown rice flours. It has a moist texture and a nice, high rise. It's baked in the oven, rather than in a bread machine.
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 packet instant yeast
- Combine the wet ingredients in a mixer with a dough hook. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients in the order listed. Try to completely cover the wet ingredients with the dry as you pour them in.
- Mix until a light, sticky dough emerges.
- Remove the dough hook and pour the dough into a bread pan.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Uncover and bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Let the bread cool completely before removing from the pan and slicing. This bread keeps very well frozen, or consume within one week.
If you cannot tolerate milk or eggs, use these substitutions instead:
- Milk: Substitute the milk for the same amount of coconut milk
- Eggs: Substitute each egg with 1 tablespoon of egg replacer and an equal amount of water.
Rice Flour Sandwich Bread for the Bread Machine
If you like a white sandwich bread, this recipe will give you a loaf that is light, fluffy and perfect for making sandwiches. Make it in the bread machine for additional simplicity.
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1/3 cup arrowroot starch
- 1/2 cup soy flour
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1 tablespoon active yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- Sift together the dry ingredients, with the exception of the yeast, and set aside.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bread maker in the order listed.
- Carefully pour the dry ingredients over the wet.
- Sprinkle on the yeast.
- Set your bread machine to "Dark" or "Whole Grain" and turn it on.
- After the final rise, before the machine begins to bake, wet your hand and push it through the dough to remove the dough hook.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before removing it from the machine.
If you are allergic to soy, milk or eggs, substitute the following:
- Soy flour: Substitute the same amount of buckwheat flour
- Milk: Substitute the buttermilk with the same amount of full fat coconut milk that has been chilled until thickened.
- Eggs: For each egg, use 1 tablespoon of egg replacer and an equal amount of water.
Enjoy Your Bread Again
Bread can be a hard thing to give up when going gluten-free. By learning to use rice flour in your bread recipes, you can once again enjoy the taste of fresh-baked bread whenever you want it.