Whether you have celiac disease or are simply sensitive to gluten, Subway offers menu items for gluten-free dieters. Knowing which of these items to choose can be a bit tricky, which is why having a gluten-free Subway food list is beneficial. Keep in mind because Subway doesn't specifically offer a gluten-free menu, there is always a risk of cross contamination.
Which Subway Foods Contain Gluten?
All Subway sandwiches served on breads, wraps, or English muffins contain gluten, according to Subway's food allergy and sensitivity information chart. The following specific menu items at Subway contain gluten:
- All sandwiches served on bread
- All wraps
- English muffins
- All flatizzas
- Meatballs and marinara
- Meatball marinara salad
- Seafood sensation
- Seafood sensation salad
- Sweet onion chicken teriyaki salad
- Teriyaki glazed chicken strips
- Cheese pizza
- Beef chili
- Creamy chicken & dumplings soup
- Creamy chicken and wild rice soup
- Homestyle chicken noodle soup
- All cookies
- Raspberry cheesecake
Enjoy the following gluten-free Subway soups:
- Black bean soup
- Broccoli and cheddar soup
Gluten-Free Eggs, Meat, Poultry, and Seafood
These protein-rich menu items available at Subway are gluten-free, according to Subway's food allergy and sensitivity information chart.
- Bacon strips
- Carved turkey
- Oven roasted chicken patty
- Plain chicken strips
- Cold cut combo meats
- Regular egg omelet
- Egg white omelet
- Ham (black forest)
- Italian BMT meats (ham, pepperoni, and salami)
- Roast beef
- Rotisserie-style chicken
- Spicy Italian meats (pepperoni and salami)
- Turkey breast
Gluten-Free Subway Salads
Enjoy the following nutritious, gluten-free Subway salads:
- Buffalo chicken salad
- Chicken and bacon ranch melt salad
- Cold cut combo salad
- Ham (black forest) salad
- Italian BMT salad
- Oven roasted chicken salad
- Roast beef salad
- Rotisserie-style chicken salad
- Tuna salad
- Turkey breast salad
- Turkey breast and ham salad
- Spicy Italian salad
- Subway club salad
- Steak and cheese salad
- Veggie delight salad
All Subway cheeses are gluten-free and include the following:
- American cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Shredded Monterey cheddar cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Pepper jack cheese
- Provolone cheese
- Swiss cheese
Gluten-Free Subway Vegetables
All Subway's fresh vegetables are good choices for gluten-free dieters and include:
- Banana peppers
Most of Subway's condiment choices are free from gluten. These include:
- Buffalo sauce
- Caesar dressing
- Chipotle southwest sauce
- Honey mustard sauce
- Mayonnaise (regular and light)
- Mustard (yellow and brown)
- Ranch dressing
- Subway vinaigrette
- Sweet onion sauce
Basic Tips to Remember
A few basic tips will help you steer clear of gluten when eating at Subway:
- Cross contamination is a concern, as gluten-free foods are often prepared using the same equipment as gluten-containing foods, and prep surfaces are the same as those upon which gluten-containing foods are prepared.
- With the exception of the sweet onion chicken teriyaki salad, seafood sensation salad, and the meatball marinara salad, Subway salads are gluten-free.
- All Subway vegetables and cheeses are gluten-free.
- With the exception of teriyaki glazed chicken, meatballs and marinara, and seafood sensation, Subway protein foods are gluten-free.
- With the exception of croutons, Subway condiments are gluten free.
- All Subway desserts contain gluten.
- All Subway breads, wraps, and English muffins contain gluten.
Subway and Gluten-Free Dieting
Subway offers a wide variety of gluten-free foods. However, be sure you address the issue of cross contamination with the person preparing your meal, so they can take proper preventative precautions. If you are extremely sensitive, as in the case of celiac disease, it may be best to avoid Subway altogether.